Value of local teacher gatherings
Found in: Teaching and Teacher Training
Laurie Richards, Nebraska
Just wanted to share a little about our local teacher gathering we had over the weekend. There were 10 of us who met in Omaha, NE. We didn’t have an agenda this time, just reconnected, addressed questions, shared ideas and tips, and had a great time. The following topics ended up in our conversations:
– Tuition rate & vacation week comparison (I think a few will be adding vacation weeks now!)
– What we teach in Development levels
– Addressing students who don’t keep the playlist alive
– Strategies for incorporating key/scale
– Agreed to invite each other to our studio events/recitals
– Talked about Missy’s ‘honors track’ where students can complete challenging projects to earn a seat at The Piano Guys concert here this fall – possibility of combining the effort for any interested area teacher, then maybe being able to purchase bulk tickets and all go together.
There were more good discussions, but my main point is to share how valuable it is to have a local group of teachers to connect with face-to-face. The more teachers you have, the more awareness you create and the MORE potential students there are for everyone. We regularly refer students to one another here. We don’t compete – we collaborate, and everyone wins.